I showed up Friday at midnight
the next day I ran a loop and got all 12 pages I needed
and then the bugle was played at the yellow gate
as I had been an hour over the cutoff returning
I got in my rental car
headed to the airport
had to stop
fell asleep on side of the road
got woken up by a cop
made it to the airport
and flew home
I learned some things..
you can take em to heart
or ignore them
doesn't really matter to me
1) You can show up at midnight the night of the race, its not smart but it wont affect your chance of finishing...well unless you miss the bugle...
2) You don't need any fancy gear to finish in fact gear won't matter in the least
3) People on the Barkley list can be bullies
4) Most people on the Barkley list don't like bullies (but they would rather tell you that privately then say that on the list)
5) People all have their own personal connection to Barkley, and for some people on the list
well they like to tell you that yours is wrong
(which I find really funny)
telling a person their PERSONAL reason for being there isn't good enough...
kills me : )
I thought I was an idiot...nah I am Einstein compared to some.
6) laz is actually a really nice guy and he does a sh%t load of work to make this happen
7) If you think you can finish Barkley you are sorely mistaken
8) You are not prepared to run Barkley until you actually run Barkley and fail and even then you still aren't ever really prepared to run Barkley.
9) If you want to run this race for bragging rights or to check off a bucket list item I would have in the past said "don't bother the race is not for you"
but now I say...
YES do try to run the race!!!!
The fact that you will fail will probably do you some good...
teach you humility..
Barkley doesn't really eat its young...
it plays with you like a cat does with a mouse..
if your lucky you will just give in and lie there in defeat
it will get tired of you and turn its attention away
in that second you can crawl to safety...
but you will NEVER be the same.
sign up for Barkley
Write your essay sharing all your accomplishments
and tell laz it will be YOU that finishes
that you NEVER give up
that Barkley has been waiting for someone like you to attempt it...
lick your wounds
My personal time on the course was horrifyingly fantastic
but it was MY time
you don't need to hear it
if you want
go and try to have your own personal connection to Barkley
but know this
people will tell you
A) you don't have a right
B) you are not worthy
C) other really stupid stuff
listen to the ones who email you off list
the ones who write
run your race
do what you can
be thankful for the experience"
Did it change me?
it made me realize
people can be jerks
they can also be the kind of person you want to climb Rat Jaw with.....